Are you a lover of beautiful, long-lasting manicures? If so, you may be wondering how gel polish can be used on natural nails to achieve salon-quality results. In this comprehensive guide, we will unveil the secrets to applying gel polish on natural nails, providing you with step-by-step instructions, insights into the benefits, and expert tips to ensure stunning manicures that withstand the test of time.
Understanding Gel Polish and Its Benefits:
Gel polish has gained popularity in recent years due to its long-lasting properties, quick dry time, and glossy finish. Here is everything you need to know about Gel Polish from application to removal:
1. Application: It is recommended to start with a gel base coat for added longevity and finish with a UV gel top coat. Gel polish does require a UV or LED lamp for curing after applying each layer.
2. Drying Time: Unlike regular polish, gel polish dries instantly under the UV or LED lamp significantly reducing the risk of smudging.
3. Durability: Gel polish is known for its exceptional durability and keeping nails stronger longer. It can last up to two to three weeks without chipping or peeling, making it an ideal choice for those who want long-lasting results.
4. Color Variety: Gel polish offers a wide range of colors and finishes, similar to regular nail polish. Some specialty effects like cat eye, chrome or holographic may be more readily available in gel formulas.
5. Removal: Removing gel polish requires soaking your nails in acetone or using gel polish remover wraps.
Preparing Your Natural Nails for Gel Polish Application:
As with anything else, the first step in a gel manicure is to prep your nails. Sanitize your hands and push back your cuticles. Using a fine drill bit or 150 grit file, you’re also going to want to remove the shine from your nails. Gently roughing up the surface of your natural nail is key to a long-lasting gel manicure. This gives the gel polish a little bit of grit to hold onto.
Step-by-Step Guide To Applying Gel Polish on Natural Nails:
1. After your nails are prepped, shape your nails to the desired shape with a 180 grit file.
2. Using a lint free wipe, clean the nail with alcohol.
3. Apply a thin layer of Revel Nail Gel Base from cuticle to free edge, capping the tip. Using a LED light cure 30 seconds or use a UV light to cure for 1 minute. (We recommend a 36-48 watt UV or LED lamp).
4. Using your gel polish color of choice, apply a thin layer from cuticle to free edge. Be sure to cap the tips of the nail to ensure complete coverage. Cure 60 seconds with a LED light or 2 minutes with a UV Light.
Repeat step 4 again. Each nail should have 2 layers of gel polish. (Pro Tip – some colors may need a third layer to give a complete full coverage!)
5. Apply a thin layer of Revel Nail Tack Free Gel from cuticle to free edge. Remember to cap the tips. Cure for 60 seconds with a LED light or 2 minutes with an UV Light.