Are you tired of over-paying at salons? Look no further than a DIY gel nail polish manicure! Gel nails offer a long-lasting manicure that is not only beautiful, but also easy to do yourself at home. In this beginner's guide, we'll walk you through the essentials you'll need to get started with gel nail polish.
What You'll Need:
1. Gel Nail Polish Color of Choice: The first step is to select your desired gel polish color. From bold and vibrant shades to subtle and elegant hues, options are unlimited. Choose a color that matches your style and personality to create stunning manicures.
2. Gel Base + Top Coat: To keep your manicure from chipping, lifting or peeling, you're going to want to invest in a good gel base coat and a gel top coat. You can bundle and save on both, here.
3. Tool Kit: Having the right tools makes all the difference in achieving a professional-looking gel manicure at home. Invest in our dip powder + gel polish tool kit that includes essentials like a nail file, buffing block, cuticle pusher, and brush. These tools will help you prepare, shape, and perfect your nails.
4. UV/LED Lamp: You will need a 36 watt UV/LED lamp to cure your gel polish manicure. Our Spectra Lamp is low heat, lightweight, offers four time settings and a smartphone holder!
5. Removal Kit: While gel nail polish can last 2-3 weeks, there will come a time when you want to change or remove your manicure. Investing in a removal kit will make the process much easier and gentler on your nails. Our removal kit includes our Non-Whitening Acetone, two Nail Spa Soak Bowls, and two Dual Sided Nail Files.
Luckily we offer a Build Your Own Gel Polish Starter Kit where you can get all of the above together in one kit!
Step-by-Step Guide to Gel Polish Application:
1. Prepare your nails: Start by shaping your nails to your desired length and gently pushing back your cuticles. Use a nail file to gently buff the surface of your natural nails, creating a slight texture to help the gel nail polish adhere better.
2. Apply Gel Base Coat: Apply a thin layer of your gel base to the nail and cure for 30 seconds.
3. Apply your Gel Color: Using your gel polish color of choice, apply a thin layer from cuticle to free edge. Be sure to cap the tips of the nail to ensure complete coverage. Cure 60 seconds with an LED light.
4. Repeat the process: Each nail should have 2 layers of gel polish. (Pro Tip* – some colors may need a third layer to give a complete full coverage).
5. Apply your Top Coat: Apply a thin layer of Revel Nail Tack Free Gel from cuticle to free edge. Remember to cap the tips. Cure for 60 seconds with an LED light
6. Finish Off with Cuticle Oil: Apply Revel Nail Cuticle oil to the skin surrounding the nail to have a complete, nourished, and calcium enriched gel polish manicure.
Gel Nail Polish Removal:
When you're ready to remove or change your gel manicure, follow these steps:
In 2-3 weeks when you want to change your gel polish color, simply file off the gel topcoat making sure that there is no shine. Then use the spa method or foil removal method to remove the gel polish fully.