Gel nails are a popular choice for those who want long-lasting and vibrant manicures. However, there are concerns that gel nails can cause a fungal infection. In this blog, we will debunk the myth and provide you with essential tips to protect your nail health when getting gel manicures.
Before diving into the question of whether gel nails cause fungus, let's understand what gel nails are. Gel nails are a type of artificial nail enhancement made of gel polymers that are cured using UV or LED lamps. The gel creates a sturdy and glossy finish, providing a long-lasting manicure.
The myth that gel nails cause fungal infections largely stems from improper application and maintenance. Fungus thrives in warm and moist environments, and this can occur if the nail technician does not properly sanitize their tools, or if the nails are improperly prepped before the gel application. However, if proper hygiene practices are followed, such as using clean and disinfected tools and ensuring the nails are properly prepped, the risk of fungal infection is minimal.
To protect your nail health while enjoying gel manicures, follow these essential tips:
1. Choose a reputable salon: Ensure the salon you visit maintains high hygiene standards and follows proper sanitation practices.
2. Proper nail prep: Ensure your nail technician properly prepares your nails before applying the gel. This includes cleaning, shaping, and gently roughing the nail surface.
3. Regular maintenance: Stick to the recommended maintenance schedule for gel nails to avoid overgrowth, lifting, and moisture buildup.
4. Keep nails dry: Moisture can increase the risk of fungal infections, so keep your nails dry and use gloves when doing tasks involving prolonged water exposure.
5. Moisturize: Keep your nails and cuticles moisturized to prevent dryness and cracking, as this can create openings for fungal infections.
Contrary to popular belief, gel nails do not inherently cause fungal infections. The risk of fungal infections arises from unsanitary practices or inadequate nail preparation. By choosing a reputable salon, ensuring proper nail prep, and practicing good nail hygiene, you can enjoy your gel manicures without worrying about fungal infections. Remember to prioritize the health and maintenance of your nails to keep them looking fabulous and fungus-free.